Weekly Maritime Summary March 16 – 22 2021
The Securewest Global Response Center (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of March 16 – 22, 2021:
- 16-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – Saudi-led coalition forces announced during evening hours local time that they have intercepted an explosive-laden vessel approximately 10 NM W of the Yemeni island of Kamaran.
- 16-MAR-21 – Robbery – An anchored bulk carrier was robbed in Callao Anchorage, Peru. Unseen, perpetrators climbed aboard an anchored bulk carrier, broke into the forecastle stores, stole ship’s properties, and made good their escape.
- 16-MAR-21 – Robbery – Owners found that their in-the-water and not locked 13 ft AB dinghy & 40 HP Yamaha had been stolen overnight, the securing line had been cut.
- 18-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – At least 39 migrants drowned off Tunisia when two boats capsized. Rescuers pulled 165 survivors from the floundering boats out of the sea to safety.
- 19-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – MARAD issued an advisory referenced: 2021-004, threat type – GPS Interference. Their full statement can be found here: Link
- 20-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – OceanViking rescued around 106 children, women & men from an overcrowded dinghy that had run into trouble in international waters around 34 nautical miles from Libya.
- 21-MAR-21 – General Security Warning – From the 21-MAR-21 to the 25-MAR-21 at 14:42 UTC a military firing practice exercise will be conducted in an area bounded by; 21-06.00N 038-58.50E 21-05.58N 039-07.00E 21-13.40N 038-58.50E 21-13.50N 039-06.20E.
- 21-MAR-21 – Migrant and Refugee – French maritime authorities said they had rescued 72 migrants in the English Channel.
- 21-MAR-21 – Hijacking – It has allegedly been reported that a privately owned Iraqi tugboat T-4 ran aground approximately 6NM North of Bushehr Port, Iran. The tug has been removed to an unknown location with a ransom demand of $80,000.
- 22-MAR-21 – Suspicious Approach – A vessel has reported an alleged suspicious approach approximately 21NM North of Port Mina Saqr in the Strait of Hormuz.
|Hijacking: Unauthorized seizure and retention of a vessel by persons not part of its complement.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|General Security Warning: Incidents which do not fit in the other categories, but enhance the situational awareness, e.g. flag state advisories or an attack on a non- commercial vessel such as a warship.|
|Suspicious Approach: All other unexplained activity in close proximity by an unknown vessel.
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.