Weekly Maritime Summary June 22 – 28 2021
The Securewest Global Response Center (GRC) recorded 8 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of June 22 – 28, 2021:
- 23-JUN-21 – Drug Interdiction – Turkish authorities reported seizing 463kg of cocaine from a shipping container at the Port of Mersin in Turkey.
- 24-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Seventy-one migrants were intercepted on several boats in the English Channel.
- 24-JUN-21 – Boarding – The container ship BALTIC NORTH was boarded in Jakarta Anchorage, Indonesia. Duty Able bodied onboard, spotted two intruders, who escaped in a waiting boat.
- 25-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Tunisia’s defence ministry reported that its navy had rescued 178 migrants who were trying to cross the Mediterranean from Libya to reach Europe.
- 26-JUN-21 – Boarding – The bulk carrier, BUSAN STAR, was boarded while underway northwest of Bintan Island, Indonesia. One unauthorized person armed with a knife was sighted at the steering gear flat of the ship. The perpetrator escaped upon being sighted.
- 26-JUN-21 – Robbery – The bulk carrier, SAKIZAYA CHAMPION, was boarded northwest of Bintan Island, Indonesia. Four unauthorised persons were sighted in the engine room. Some engine spares were stolen.
- 26-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – 110 people were intercepted crossing of the English Channel.
- 27-JUN-21 – Migrant and Refugee – Up to 60 migrants were picked up in a dinghy in the English Channel and were taken to Dover Marina.
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Boarding: Unauthorized boarding of a vessel by persons not part of its complement without successfully taking control of the vessel.|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.