Weekly Maritime Summary July 20 – 26 2021
The Securewest Global Response Center (GRC) recorded 10 maritime related incidents during the reporting period of July 20-26, 2021:
- 19/21-JUL-21 – Robbery – A locked dingy was stolen from Maxmarine Dock, Martinique.
- 20-JUL-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Home Office for the UK reported that 287 migrants crossed the English Channel.
- 21-JUL-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Home Office for the UK reported that 219 migrants crossed the English Channel in eleven boats.
- 22-JUL-21 – Drugs Interdiction – Cocaine concealed as charcoal with a market value of up to 35 million euros ($41.4 million) was discovered inside containers at the Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- 22-JUL-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Home Office for the UK reported that 175 migrants crossed the English Channel in six boats. On the same day French authorities also reported rescuing 42 migrants who ran into difficulties.
- 22-JUL-21 – Drugs Interdiction – A large shipment of cocaine was seized by the Hellenic Police at the Port of Piraeus, Greece.
- 23-JUL-21 – Migrant and Refugee – The Turkish Defence Minster reported that a migrant boat sank approximately 139nm SW of Kas, Turkey. 37 migrants were recovered but a further eight were missing.
- 25-JUL-21 – Migrant and Refugee – UK authorities intercepted 378 migrants attempting to cross the English Channel. The French authorities reported five incidents which included a further 178.
- 26-JUL-21 – Stowaway – US Customs and Border Protection authorities captured five stowaways onboard the vessel AS PETRA at the Penn Terminals in Eddystone, Pennsylvania.
- 26-JUL-21 – Maritime Information Advisory – It was announced that from 29th to 30th of July, Live Firing Practice will be conducted in the following areas: Link
|Robbery: Theft from a vessel or from persons aboard the vessel.|
|Migrant and Refugee Incident: This could involve Search and Rescue (SAR) operations, or information about a boat capsizing and people drowning, or an attack on the group.|
|Drugs Interdiction: Focused on interrupting illegal drugs smuggled by sea, usually a large number of drugs are seized.|
|Stowaway: A person(s) who hides aboard a ship in order to obtain free transportation|
What next – contact us
Please get in touch for further information and to discuss your requirements.